Today I got my class list. I have 31 students. After having 25 or so the last few years, 31 seems like a ton! For those of you who aren't teachers, big class sizes are NOT a good thing.
As I looked over the names of the students I would have in my class starting next Wednesday, umm... honestly? I was a teensy bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong; I have some great kids that I'm excited to have and a bunch that I don't know yet. But I was kinda bummed... there were a few kids that I REALLY wanted in my class that I didn't get. Also there were a few kids that I would prefer NOT to have in my class that I got. I'm sure it'll all be great, but still...
So I'm walking though Costco today, not even paying attention because I'm stressing about school, when I bump into this lady. She's staring at me, that look when you're trying to figure out how you know someone. Then this happens:
"What's your last name?"
"Dixon."
"As in Mrs. Dixon who taught in Cedar City?"
"Yeah!"
"My son Cody was in your 5th grade class! Cody Marshall!"
"Oh my gosh, I remember Cody!"
"Yeah, he's in high school now."
"No way! How crazy! Has he gotten any taller since then?"
"Haha, not really. He's still the shortest of all his friends."
"Oh no, poor kid. I remember he was the shortest one in our class!"
"I believe it! He still talks about you. He always says you were the best teacher he's ever had."
We talked for another minute, then as we went our separate ways I told her, "tell Cody I say hi and that I definitely remember him" and she says "and he definitely will always remember you."
(((((Tears in my eyes)))))
There are lots of reasons why I am a teacher. But that's another blog in itself.
The main reason above all others is so that I can have moments like that.
Cody. I was his 5th grade teacher. He's in high school now. And he still talks about me. I'm the best teacher he's ever had. Wow.
So all the stress, all the worrying about who's in my class, who's not in my class, big class sizes, prepping for school to start, yadda yadda... it all melted away thanks to a 2 minute conversation in Costco.
I am a teacher... and I thank God for it every day.
P.S. Cody is in the picture above. He's the little one in the navy blue shirt with his mouth wide open, middle left.
Monday, August 17, 2009
The Reason I Teach
Posted by ashley at 5:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Oh my goodness! So, I've been working all day/night in my classroom. I'm here now. Thought I'd take a break to check email and blogs, and read this. Totally makes all this hard work seem worth it!
Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment