Jay's grandpa turned 87 last week and said all he wanted for his birthday was to go to a BYU football game. He's a huge sports fan but has never been to a college football game. So Jay's parents bought 4 tickets: 2 for them, 1 for grandpa, and they figured either Jay or Andy (Jay's brother) could take the 4th ticket.
I'd better take this opportunity to mention that although Jay and I are big sports fans, we are NOT nor have we ever been BYU fans. I have a lot of friends that have gone to BYU; I have tons of friends that are die-hard BYU fans; but I have never been into it. Too many things about BYU just rub me the wrong way (I'd give details, but #1) I don't want to lose friendships and #2) I don't want this blog to be 8 miles long).
So when Jay's parents approached him with the ticket, he said he would go IF and ONLY IF they couldn't find anyone else.
Well, let's just say my in-laws are a little bit, umm, "slow".
Jay's brother Andy finds out and wants to go. This should be great news for us, right? But no. Jay's parents run out and buy TWO MORE TICKETS!!! *I guess you have to buy them in even numbers*. So now Andy & Jay could both go. Yippee Skippee. What didn't you understand about the whole "I'll go if I HAVE to go" part??
New problem: Who can fill the 6th ticket??
Me, also being "slow", I say: "I'll go if you can't find anyone else." Duh! Look what happened last time when Jay said that!!
Long story short, I get suckered into going to the BYU-Wyoming game Saturday.
It wasn't completely awful. As a matter of fact, here are my top 3 parts of the day:
1.) I got to eat a completely heavenly treat called a "Cougar Tail". It's basically a maple bar doughnut that's like 2 feet long. YUM!!!
2.) The dad 4 rows down that keeps lifting his 3 year old son in the air and letting him do cheerleader tricks, not to mention tossing him probably 10 feet in the air much to the crowd's enjoyment.
3.) The fight between 2 grown men about 8 rows down. A fist fight at BYU?? Gasp! It was entertaining for me though!
So YES my friends, I can now say I have been to a BYU football game.
Will I ever be a BYU fan? No. Will I ever go to another game again? Probably not.
But was it the most miserable experience of my life? Eh, not necessarily.
Sunday, September 21, 2008
My first BYU football experience
Posted by ashley at 6:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh Ashley, what am I going to do with you? I thought for sure you would have a blast at the game. Of course after BYU goes undefeated this year, and totally trashes the Utes in Novemver, I really think you will have a change of heart! And always remember, you can't offend us, because a lot of things about BYU rub us the wrong way too. Maybe I better not post that on the internet...they may take away my diploma! Go Cougars!
oh Ashley we could never hate you for not liking BYU. Dislike you a little maybe but never hate you. Just kidding we love you no matter what.
Post a Comment