After mowing the lawn last night, Jay told me he wanted a trimmer/edger for Father's Day.
So, like a good wifey should, I set off to find one today.
Of course I know NOTHING about trimmers, but I figure I'll show up and ask employees for help.
Argh. I should've known...
First I go to Lowe's. I stand there in the aisle gazing at the 20-something different trimmers. They all look the same to me and yet they range in price from $30 to $200. After about 15 minutes of moping around feeling confused and stupid and mad because TWO employees looked straight at me and walked right past me, I finally went and asked for help. It took about 4 seconds for me to realize this girl had no idea what she was talking about. She basically told me just to pick one that looked good and Jay could return it if he wanted. I left feeling frustrated but hopeful that Home Depot would be better.
Long story short... same thing happened.
I don't get it. If I walk down the hall of my school and see someone who obviously looks lost, I ALWAYS ask them if I can help. If it's something I can't help with, then I try to find someone who can. I would never just walk right past.
Also, I realize that these kids who work at these places only make minimum wage and definitely are not informed on the products the store sells, but shouldn't there be someone in the store somewhere that knows something about trimmers??? What if I walked into a jewelry store or a car lot and the salesman said "Just pick one that looks good"?? It doesn't make any sense.
I am so into good customer service so today was a pretty rough day.
Stupid Lowe's. Stupid Home Depot.
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
I hate Lowe's and Home Depot.
Posted by ashley at 3:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I've had the same sort of experiences at Home Depot. I went in to find a spade for the garden, and asked someone where I could find one. The worker looked at me blankly. I said, "You know, a spade. It is shaped like this and you use it for digging in the dirt." Another blank look. It was strangely reminiscent of the twilight zone.
Hahaha! Ray and I had this exact same conversation last weekend while shopping for a fridge. We went to Home Depot and Lowe's and nobody could give us any type of useful information. Luckily the "geek squad" at Best Buy came to the rescue!
And while we are on this subject, can I just say...I HATE WAL-MART THE MOST!!! Ah, that just felt good to say!
Seriously! Thank God for Geek Squad! They are the only useful group in the whole lot of them! Too bad I can't buy a lawn trimmer at Best Buy.
I would have to say that I agree with the Home Depot comment, but I LOVE our Lowe's in SLC. We recently remodeled our kitchen and bathroom and the Lowe's by me proved to have some of the most amazing customer service I have ever seen. Everyone was very helpful every time I went, which was probably like 5 times a week for a span of 4 months.
Home Depot on the other hand, might as well have just told me to take my pregnant belly elsewhere.
I know you don't know me from Adam, but I am an employee of Lowe's and I just wanted to offer my apologies to you for the poor Customer Service that you received in your Lowe's store. Believe it or not, Lowe's takes situations like this very seriously. I would encourage you to contact a Manager at the store and let them know of the poor service you received. I'm sure they would be very interested to know. Yes, you are also right when you say that most people in the store are not experts on all the products that Lowe's sells, but Lowe's does have Specialist positions in the Outdoor Power Equipment section and he/she would be the expert in that department. Again, I am very sorry for your shopping experience and I hope that you will contact a manager at your Lowe's store. I also hope that you will give Lowe's another chance to make you happy.
We bought the $30 trimmer and it works great :) Just FYI. And we quit shopping at Home Depot right after we moved in our house for the same reason.
I have had the same feelings many a time. For this reason I have stopped shopping at Wal-Mart altogether...their customer service stinks...and they are out of products that I need ALL of the time. I am so sorry that you had to deal with this too.
I do this all the time, because I probably know just as little as the customer. If it doesn't meet your satisfaction, bring it on back, say it all the time. "Even if it's used" the customer will ask, Yes, even if it's used. "Like after I've got scuffs and grass clippings" Yes maam, give it a try you'll love it, and if you don't bring it back with your receipt. Chances are you'll like your trimmer if you don't buy the cheapest piece of crap, think about it.
Anyway, my line of response to your inquiry is that price reflects quality. If you asked me, I'd lie and say the best model is good at sound deafening, reliability, and can handle a tougher job with more square feet. If you ever do shopping at these stores, realize that the employee probably doesn't care with their pay or they are commissioned and will tell you what you want to hear.
"TWO employees looked straight at me and walked right past me" I do this too, because I'm just as stupid as the customer and why trying dancing around that fact when I can walk right by if no managers catch me. Also, there are lost of things that need to be done in the store and serving the customer comes below serving the bosses.
Post a Comment