Yesterday was a very interesting day emotionally for me. I woke up, got dressed for work, and everything was relatively normal until I got in the car and started driving. I was about halfway there when that song from TARZAN came on the radio, "You'll Be In My Heart." I started crying as I remembered that it was October 3. If I hadn't miscarried last spring, October 3 would have been my due date.
I got to school and my wonderful coworker Trudy consoled me and reminded me that it was completely normal to feel sad about my loss. I guess I was kind of feeling guilty since I've got this healthy, overly-athletic baby bouncing inside me now and I felt like there shouldn't be room to be sad, but it was nice to hear from somebody that no matter what, you never really get over the pain that comes from losing a child at any stage of life.
So, school starts. I've pulled myself together and I'm ready for a very average Friday. I realize something is very odd in my classroom. My students are acting very strange, even for them! What is going on here??? I know that something fishy is going on.
I get called down to the office around 9:10. When I get back to my room at 9:15, it's covered in streamers and balloons. Cookies & soda line our reading table. There's a banner on the wall that says "It's a Boy!"
No freaking way... my class threw me a BABY SHOWER!! HA!!!!
My kids were so dang cute. About 8 kids had brought presents which I anxiously tore open as they watched. Blankets, teddy bears, baby lotions... I was ecstatic! It was exactly what I needed exactly when I needed it.
And thus the emotional rollercoaster of a pregnant 6th grade teacher continues...
Saturday, October 4, 2008
My Bittersweet Friday.
Posted by ashley at 8:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
that's awesome that they threw you a baby shower!!!! so exciting!
I don't know what it's like to loose a baby, but just know that i'm thinking of you and that i know you will be a great mom!
What a DARLING class!
I'm sorry for your loss. I'm thinking about you.
Cute! Did they purposefully throw it for you on Oct 3rd or was that just a coincidence? Either way that's so sweet and cute!
It sounds like you have a great class that love you very much. I am so glad that you have friends that can help you when you are sad. sandy and I think of you often, you are in our hearts and in our prayers.
Ashley, I totally understand! I just miscarried in August and it has been an emotional roller coaster ever since. I am so sorry for you.
Your class is so cute! It makes me miss teaching. Congratulations on your baby boy!
Post a Comment